How to Retain and Learn New Vocabulary Words
Learning new vocabulary words may seem like a daunting task when you first start learning a new language, but there are some simple things you can do to make learning easy. If you want to learn English fast or improve your pronunciation skills, you will need to read a variety of materials in the new language and practice as often as possible. Here are some important tips for learning new vocabulary words in the English language, or any other foreign language:
1. Repeat new words out loud regularly. Take the time to learn the pronunciation of certain words and practice saying them clearly with consistency. Repeat these words as often as possible and use them in a sentence to increase your retention skills.
2. Practice context. One of the biggest mistakes people make when learning new words of vocabulary is that they learn fragments of words and phrases without context. This often results in miscommunication because a direct translation doesn’t have the right connotations or meaning. Practice using words in the context of a conversation so that you learn how to use the vocabulary words correctly.
3. Play with new vocabulary words. Whether you choose Scrabble or do crossword puzzles, you can learn new vocabulary easily by using them in a game. Consider purchasing the foreign language version of your favorite board game so that you can assimilate the language with ease.
4. Create your own vocabulary lists. Vocabulary list building exercises are a great way to get comfortable with new words in a foreign language and improve your rate of retention. Create a list of words around a particular subject so that you learn them in context, and practice using them as often as possible.
5. Visualize the definition. Instead of memorizing direct translations of new vocabulary words you encounter, learn what the definition is and associate it with a visual image. For example, if you have just learned the word for ‘house’ in the new language, focus on associated the image of a house in your mind (or a picture) with the word so that you can remember it. This is a simple and effective way to learn new vocabulary words with ease, regardless of the language.
6. Read in the new language. Even if you don’t understand all of the words in a foreign newspaper, book or magazine, you can pick out new words and look up their definitions as you go along. This will help you understand a lot of new words in context and also help you learn about sentence patterns and structure. While this an advanced skill to acquire when learning new vocabulary in a foreign language, it’s still an effective way to become proficient in a new language.
Learning new vocabulary words doesn’t have to be difficult. Incorporate different activities and games into the learning process so you can understand sentence structure, grammar and context as you learn each new set of words. These strategies will help you speak and write in the new language like a native speaker.